PUBLIC FORUM: BIOTERRORISM: REALITIES AND RESPONSES
DATE/TIME: WEDNESDAY, OCT 17, noon to 2 p.m.
PLACE: DuVal Auditorium, University Medical Center
1501 N. Campbell Ave.
CONTACT: Jane Barth, 626-0833
PLEASE NOTE: This forum will be broadcast live on on Cox Cable, Channel 76 (Sierra Vista Channel 7), People's Choice, Channel 48.
---------------------------------------------------Bioterrorism will be the subject of a fact-filled public forum featuring health professionals from the Arizona Health Sciences Center and other organizations. These experts will discuss Bioterrorism: Realities and Responses, an overview of bioterrorism threats, as well as ways to best respond to this growing menace.
The forum will take place Wednesday, Oct. 17, noon to 2 p.m., at DuVal Auditorium, University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave. (Although the presentation is part of the Department of Medicine's regularly scheduled Grand Rounds, the public is encouraged to attend.) Following presentations, members of the audience will be invited to ask questions of the panelists.
* The event will be moderated by Eskild Petersen, MD, an internationally known expert on infectious disease who is chief of staff at University Medical Center and chief of the UA Section of Infectious Diseases. (Note: Additional participants were still being confirmed Monday morning.) Among those scheduled to present are:
* Mike Austin, emergency management director for the State of Arizona.
* Peter Kelly, MD, clinical assistant professor of medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, AHSC Phoenix Campus, Arizona Department of Health Services. He will provide "An Overview of Bioterrorism."
* Kenneth Ryan, MD, chief of the Clinical Microbiology Lab, professor of pathology, microbiology and immunology, as well as College of Medicine dean for academic affairs. He will discuss "Anthrax: Medical Microbiology Lab."
* Steve Klotz, MD, UA professor of medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, will discuss "Anthrax: Biology and Disease."